TN Health Care Hall of Fame Inducts Inaugural Members
The Tennessee Health Care Hall of Fame inducted its inaugural eight member class at a luncheon and ceremony in Belmont’s Curb Event on Monday, October 12. Hosted by Senior Policy Adviser at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Susan Dentzer, the Hall of Fame seeks to recognize and honor the pioneers and current leaders who have formed Tennessee’s health and health care community and encourage future generations of health care professionals.
Created by Belmont University and Belmont’s McWhorter Society with the support of the Nashville Health Care Council, a Founding Partner, the event honored the Hall of Fame’s inaugural inductees which included:
- Dr. Thomas F. Frist, Jr.: Physician and Flight Surgeon in U.S. Air Force, Co-Founder, Past Chairman and CEO of Hospital Corporation of America, Co-Founder of China Healthcare, Corporation, Member of National Healthcare Hall of Fame
- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.: Cardiologist and Internist, Founder of Park View Hospital, Co-Founder of Hospital Corporation of America
- Dr. Ernest William Goodpasture: Pathologist and Physician, Past Dean of Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Past Director of Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
- Jack C. Massey: Co-Founder of Hospital Corporation of America, Founder and Past Board Member of Baptist Hospital
- Clayton McWhorter: Pharmacist and Co-Founder of HealthTrust and Clayton Associates, Past President and CEO of Hospital Corporation of America, Lifetime Achievement Award from Federation of American Health Systems Recipient
- Dr. David Satcher: 16th U.S. Surgeon General, Past Director of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Past President of Meharry Medical College and Morehouse School of Medicine
- Dr. Mildred T. Stahlman: Pediatrician and Pathologist, Founder of the country’s first modern neonatology intensive care unit, Pioneered the use of respiratory therapy on infants with damaged lungs, Past President of the American Pediatric Society, Distinguished Alumna of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Danny Thomas: Founder of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and ALSAC
In a video acceptance video done on behalf of her father, Marlo Thomas said her family was incredibly touched to have Danny included in the Hall of Fame’s inaugural class. Chronicling the powerful story of St. Jude’s founding through Thomas’s prayer to the patron of hopeless causes, Marlo Thomas described her father’s dedication to providing medical care, comfort and hope to children and their families. “Thank you for recognizing our father today with this wonderful honor and for continuing to help us realize his dream that one day, no child will die in the dawn of life,” Thomas said.